What is a Grease Trap?
A grease trap, also known as a grease interceptor, plays a vital role in commercial kitchens. It intercepts greases and solids before they enter the wastewater disposal system. This interception is vital in preventing clogs and blockages in the plumbing system, keeping everything flowing smoothly and avoiding costly repairs.
Why is Grease Trap Maintenance Important?
Regular grease trap maintenance is necessary for several reasons.
- Prevent Blockages: An adequately maintained grease trap prevents the fats, oils, and greases (FOGs) from entering your drain lines and creating blockages.
- Avoid Unpleasant Odors: Over time, the FOGs trapped in the grease interceptor can produce unpleasant odors if not regularly cleaned.
- Compliance with Regulations: Most health departments, water boards, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have stringent requirements about the installation, use, and maintenance of grease traps.
The Benefits of Plastic Grease Traps
Traditionally, grease traps are made of metal, which can corrode over time, leading to leaks and failures. Nowadays, plastic grease traps are becoming increasingly popular due to their numerous advantages:
- Durability: Plastic grease traps are highly resistant to corrosion and have a longer functional lifespan compared to their metal counterparts.
- Cost-effective: Installing a plastic grease trap can often be more cost-effective in the long run as they are less likely to need replacing or repairing.
- Environmentally friendly: Plastic traps resist rust and leaks, reducing the risk of FOGs leaking into the water supply and causing environmental damage.
Here at Plumr, we specialize in grease trap replacement and maintenance, with special expertise in plastic trap installation. Our highly-skilled team can help you keep your plumbing system running smoothly, saving you both time and money in repairs. If your grease trap needs attention or you’re thinking of upgrading to a plastic model, give us a call. We’re here to help.
Plumbing maintenance is not a luxury—it’s a necessity. Let us help you keep your system in top shape.